Monday, June 4, 2007

EDUCATIONAL BLOGGING: The Educator's Way

Blogging, according to Will Richardson, offers a potpourri of educational opportunities to both sides of the learning process – student and teacher. As I listened to his passionate monologue, I felt the sincerity of his words in revealing the amazing potentials of blogging as a technological tool that enhances learning.

True, with blogs, students can extend their horizon and learn from the feedback of so many contributors from around the world. Noteworthy to mention is the learning they can get from intelligent comments of individuals who share their passion. In consequence, they will be part of a learning community that is characterized with dynamism and advancement. More so, students can develop to critical thinking skills as they become to read other blogs which challenges their intellect and which spurs them to respond with profound analysis.

Teachers, on the other hand, can use blogs not just a simple on-line “diary” of thoughts or a cache of professional works but they can be tools for professional development. Blogs attract company. As the saying goes, “you reap what you sow”, so also in writing your blogs you will receive comments from people who share your passion. As this process progress, it becomes a never ending sharing of experiences, of solutions to answers, and of creative ideas – is this not a credible professional development resource taken from no other than your peers.

In all these “sales pitches” of how amazing blogging is in education, I understand the urgency of learning it and then integrating it into the curriculum. However, amid the excitement, I would rather be cautious to using it without ascertaining that my students have the prerequisites – writing and reading skills, cause and effect and analysis. It is just like learning to do the strokes, bubbling and breathing first before swimming. More so, I need to make the parents be involved when their children will venture to blogging because of privacy issues.

As a teacher, I blog in order to gain its educational and professional benefits and not just to be original. I consider blogging as a means and not an end. I embrace it as my response to change in the educational environment. The landscape of 21st century education has changed so drastically. Moreover, as a teacher, I educate – “I LEAD”. Blogging is just one way for me to lead my students into making these tools as effective means towards their successful learning.

CREDITS

Image Source: http://www.ibritt.com/resources/images/hearnoseenospeakno_blogOK.jpg
PODCAST SOURCE (Will Richardson)

2 comments:

Araceli Nelson said...

I think that communicating throught a blog is a very interesting way of interacting.
It is exciting now on days that we do not have to hold our ideas and passions inside ourselves, because now have easy ways of sharing them. We also have a form of having feedback from other people that feel and think the way we do.
What a great way for our students to be able to do the same thing.
Lets continue to motivate our students to learn as much as possible what they can do with great tools.

BenBarton said...

I also picked up on the professional development use of blogs. Blogs are so easy to create and easy to comment on, making them a great tool for overworked teachers who don't have the energy to learn something difficult and new.

I just wish I could find the blogs of some other teachers who teach the same grade level as I do. I would be interested on hearing how they get through certain problems they might have during their day. Even more than that, though, I sometimes would like impartial advice from collegues who don't know me.